High-Fives to it FINALLY being Friday! It was a crazy week here 30 miles out to sea…I honestly do not understand where the days go. Even though I wake up around 5:30 AM, I still do not have enough time in the day to get all these thoughts written down, while still trying to keep some time for myself. DOH! I am just happy that I love what I do, but sometimes even for me, it can be stressful and overwhelming. My cure is either a long walk with Lucy or a really good sweaty workout!
Every morning during the week, I make it a goal to get to The Westmoor Club between 6:45 – 7:00 AM, so that this gives me a hour to enjoy some coffee; time with Lucy; and do a hour of social media work. This also allows me to fully take advantage of my workout and enjoy that 15 minute steam room session. A good part of me getting through my workouts is looking forward to that eucalyptus steam. It is that good! It can be up to a 2 hour adventure, but that is why I get up early, so I can do the things that I enjoy, before I tackle my work day!
On Wednesday, I woke up fully charged and ready to ROCK! Before I even had my cup of coffee, I knew it was going to be a good day…Ever have that feeling? Besides the stressful car issues I have been having and the normal day to day stuff that tends to wear on me, I was not going to let that rain on my “Positive Patty” parade. I went to The Westmoor Club and decided to jump on the treadmill and do a lot of the plyometrics I despise. I felt strong; I needed to switch things up; and wanted to kick my own butt. Mission accomplished!
Things to note about this workout:
- I can be a numbers junkie when it comes to working out, so this time I focused on the calories (EVEN THOUGH I know they aren’t accurate. I just would get to 100 and then jump off. Each time it was about 8 minutes of intervals);
- Perform 3 rounds of each circuit (not the treadmill, just the exercises);
- Rest 45 seconds between each circuit;
- Use DB’s when necessary…I used 10 pounds and was challenged, but could go heavier next time!
- Take no rest after you finish the last circuit and jump back on the treadmill!
Try this plank variation to switch things up…Side Plank with Knee to Chest…Start in side plank and stay there for 30 seconds…Once you hit 30, bring your knee into your chest SLOWLY…slowly bring it back to starting and repeat until the minute is complete! Flip to the other side and do the exact same thing!
With the change of seasons; the cooler temperatures; and the fact that it gets dark at 4:30 PM can sometimes be a really hard time of year to stay motivated when it comes to our health and fitness. And with the added stress that we put on ourselves during the holidays, it is another whammy that can wreak havoc on our lives. I believe we have choices when it comes to situations like this…We can either moan and groan and do nothing except moan and groan (which I find absolutely annoying) or we can challenge ourselves and get motivation from other places. My favorite equipment for home workouts are adjustable dumbbells because they are so versatile. For a list of models view here. But Skulpt Chisel is another favorite of mine.
I think we should go with option 2, because who wants to be around cranky people this time of year. We all have our own stuff to deal with on a daily basis, so stop making excuses. You deserve to be happy and healthy day in and day out. You are the one in control of that, so invest some time and money in YOU and do what makes YOU feel your best. You should be glowing inside and out as we roll into the holidays! Here are a few of my ideas and ones that I have followed and seen success:
- Change things up: As you all know, I love my new membership at The Westmoor Club. After doing so much running and at-home workouts, I have changed up my routine and I could not be happier. It feels good to be using machines and dumbbells again. It feels good getting my butt kicked in Spin class. And it feels good to already notice some strength gains from taking a Booty Barre class weekly. Yes, you heard me correctly…a Booty Barre class and I LOVE it. I have no rhythm, but my teacher ROCKS and it is fun and it makes me smile as I am dripping sweat.
- Grab a friend: I am always working out alone and I typically do not like to workout with anyone, when I am lifting weights or running. But for classes and long walks, it is always nice to have a friend by your side. It makes the time go by faster; you get to catch up; you get to help each other; and it is just FUN. So the next time you head to your favorite class, call a friend and tell them to join you. I promise you will both be smiling at the end!
- Invest in a fitness tracker: Let’s face it when it comes to our health and fitness we can sometimes be “know it alls” and a little stubborn. But when you are not seeing the results that you want, sometimes you have to do the research; ask for help; and invest in YOU and that means financially. I complain too about spending money on gadgets, but I have done it before and honestly never regretted it. You can learn so much, that you did not know before. Being able to track your progress; seeing your gains; getting confirmation that the hard work is paying off…All of that information is AWESOME stuff!
I want to introduce you to the Skulpt Chisel that you should check out and see if it is a good fit for you!
- The Chisel is available on Indiegogo for only $99. It’s a leaner, lighter, more affordable tracker for measuring % body fat and muscle quality with great accuracy;
- Your results will sync instantly on your smartphone app;
- Skulpt tells you when you are losing fat and gaining muscle;
- Differentiates high (lean) muscle quality versus low (fattier) muscle quality, so you can measure fat loss (not weight loss) as well as gains in muscle mass;
- Measures Total Body MQ & Fat quickly!
I think that this is a great product to learn more about, otherwise I would not be telling you about it. I was sent the Skulpt Aim to review. My initial thoughts when I saw this device was…yeah this interesting and a little bulky and is this honestly worth the investment? I totally admit that I can be a “Negative Nancy”, but this is what I am going to tell you and then you can decide whether or not you want to make the purchase:
- $99.00 is a great deal with the Chisel! I wish I was sent this one, because I like the size of it better and I think lighter and less bulky is just easier to carry around;
- Having your results instantly sync to your app is easy! I believe this definitely helps you stay motivated and accountable;
- When you are in a rut and need that extra push to stick to your goals and nothing else is working, remember that you are worth the investment. Investing in a device that can motivate you through a rough patch is worth it, so check it out!
*Disclaimer: I was paid for this post and product. All opinions are my own.*
What was the last fitness gadget you invested in?
How do you motivate yourself when you have hit a “rough patch”?
Happy Weekend Friends! It has been a interesting week on Nantucket, so let us dive right into it….shall we…
- I have been fighting a nice head cold for the past few days! You know when you feel that obnoxious tickle in your throat and you know what is coming? YUCK! I do not like to take any medicine, so I cure myself with LOTS of water, sleep, and sweat…that steam room has come in quite handy. The past few nights I have been going to be at 8:30 PM, but you know what it is WORKING!
- Can we talk about the weather? I walk outside bundled up to go to the gym and it feels like Spring…This is so wonderful! All week there has been hardly any wind, so the water is like glass, and it has just been so mild. It is beautiful.
- Leftovers are the BEST and I have had them all week, since I made 2 recipes and it was so nice to have lots of meals for dinner, so I did not have to prepare anything. The first picture is Ina Garten’s Moroccan Chicken Tajine and the second one is Skinny Taste’s Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili. Both were a success and so DELISH!
And onto the workouts! I have been taking full advantage of my membership and I absolutely love it. It is worth every penny! I am really enjoying the classes, the strength training, and seeing friendly faces on a daily basis. And I think I am going to have to pick up squash soon…I saw some men playing on Friday morning and they asked me to join…I have to just do it! WAHOO!
As we all know, the weather has been weirdly warm! I figured it would be a good idea to share this Core Power workout with you, that I did a few weeks ago, because you should workout outside, when you can, before winter arrives! Not only is Steps one of my favorite beaches to go to all year round on Nantucket, but I love that I can squeeze in a good solid workout when I run there.
My Workouts this week…
- Sunday: Long walks with Lucy!
- Monday: 30 minute elliptical + core work + walk with Lucy;
- Tuesday: 25 minute SPIN + Booty Barre;
- Wednesday: Long walk with Lucy + 4 mile intervals on the treadmill;
- Thursday: 25 minute SPIN + Booty Barre;
- Friday: SPIN class
- Saturday: TBD…Definitely doing some upper body strength training;
- Sunday: REST REST REST
I am definitely excited for the upcoming weeks! I have some fun posts coming up…Lots of delicious products to tell you about…And I am also definitely excited about heading home for a small family Thanksgiving. I cannot believe how fast time is going by and I am looking forward to getting off island for some much needed pampering when I get home. I am also going to stay true to my word and disconnect from the computer and social media tomorrow morning. I think this little change is going to be perfect for me. A nice break to step away from the computer screen and focus on other things…Have a beautiful weekend friends!